When it was about eight thirty and I still had not heard from him ( he usually calls before he heads home), I started getting a little worried that he had been in an accident. He rode his motorcycle to work that day and I always get a little nervous about that.... anyway, I convinced myself that he was fine and reminded myself I had not heard and ambulance (there is a hospital between the short distance of his work and our house). Just as I was telling myself not to worry I heard ambulances. Again, I just told myself no big deal, he is working late. I decided to do Yoga to keep myself busy. About 5 minutes into my Yoga video I got a phone call from the Emergency room at the UCLA hospital. They let me know Mike was doing ok, but He had been in a motorcycle accident... what does "ok" really mean when someone is in the ER from a motorcycle accident?
Apparently he could only remember one phone number and that was his parents. When the hospital called his parents his dad asked if they had called his wife. Apparently Mike had not told them he had a wife... His parents had to give them my phone number.
I did not want to imagine the worst, but to get a call like that after I had already had the thoughts of him crashing his motorcycle was a bit much. Not to mention we have only been married for 3 months.
I rushed to the hospital and found him in a hospital bed in the hallway of the ER. (something out of a movie). He had a neck brace on and could not move much. He seemed to be out of it. I asked him if he knew who I was and he stared at me for a second with a blank look ( kind of like an oh crap! I should know this) and then smiled and said Britney. I was relived by that. Andy, Peter and Lisa came which was really nice, and Andy and Peter gave him a blessing. I am really grateful for that!
I had to stay out of the way while he was in the hallway because there was not a lot of room so I had to just sit at his feet, holding his foot while workers in the hospital wandered around (what seemed to be a pretty unorganized and unsanitary hospital). Not exactly reassuring.
Once we could move into a room with 3 other patients about 45 minutes later I could sit by him and try to talk to him. He could not remember much. He did not know the day, the month or the year, much less what had happened. I kept asking him if he remembered that we were married and he could not remember. He thought we would be soon if we were not already:) but the fact that he did not have his wedding ring on kept throwing him off.
He would ask the same things over and over....
Mikey: "What Happened?"
Me: "You were in a motorcycle accident."
Mikey: "That sucks. Did someone turn left in front of me?"
Me: "I think so"
Mikey: "Figures. Idiots......How long have I been in her?"
Me: "about 4 hours"
2 second later we would repeat the same 7 lines. This went on for about an hour or two....
He then started saying:
Mikey: " I dream about you"
Me: "what do you dream"
Mikey "that you are here in the hospital with me"
Me: "oh yeah?"
Mikey: "I love you... give me a kiss on my lips"
mixed with the above questions and the following:
Mikey: "are we married?"
Me : "yes"
Mikey: "then were is my ring?"
Me: "the hospital has it"
Mikey: "I love you...give me a kiss on my lips"
At one point I asked him if he could remember all of his siblings and he named them of fine.. Then I asked if he could remember my dads name.. He said he could picture him, but could not remember his name.... then I asked if he remembered my mom... He thought for a while and then looked at me and asked if that was a trick question... I laughed.. and told him she had passed away so he didn't know her, but it was funny he asked me that way.
This went on from about 11pm to 3am until he was sent to a room once they knew he was going to be ok. His cat scans came back saying everything was ok.. there were no major problems, just some bruising and stitches on his foot.
We spent the night there just to be sure and by the time he woke up in the morning his memory was back to normal minus very little recollection of the day before and nothing about the accident. He has been recovering at home .. had to use a walker for a few days before getting enough strength back, but he should be back to work tomorrow.
We are just really lucky it was not worse than it was! I don't know what I would have done if it would have been worse. I am lucky to have him! He is the BEST!
Here are a few pictures of the incident... His bike is no longer... It will be missed, but I am thinking it is for the best.
We got his bike back today.. It cost about $500 to get it back and there is not much left to salvage. It was a cool motorcycle :(
3 comments:
Sasi briefly told me about his accident the other day. I'm so glad he is okay. I'm sure it was a very stressful two minute conversation with the hospital and even more stressful when you arrived to the hospital. I'm sure he was sad to see the remainder of his motorcycle. That really is too bad but I'm sure you aren't to upset he won't be riding it to work anymore.
Britney, you are the sweetest wife! And I can't imagine what you must have felt from the time you received the call, to when you got to lay your eyes on him. You are so strong! And I think it is sooooo cute that he wanted you to kiss him on the lips a bunch of times. Clearly he thinks you are a total babe! Glad he is okay, and thaat you seem to be okay!
Just laughing too about his stitches! Did you pass out at the site of them, like you did when my mom revealed her leg to ya? Just wondering? I know mom's was slightly more freakish looking. That one goes down in the big book of great ones. I miss you!
That is so scary! Sean and I are glad he is ok. I would have been freaking out too. Did you guys ever find out how the accident happened?
Post a Comment